I Want Everything!

I will be away for the next week visiting my good friends, meaning it will be difficult for me to respond to comments, and there likely will not be any updates. I’ll talk to you soon, and hopefully no one forgets about me in my absence!

Last week I was running errands with D, and we ended up at Walmart. The list was pretty strict – just a few odds and ends, with the major item being a window fan in anticipation for the stifling hot upper bedrooms. The house is old, and the insulation isn’t great. Add in the fact that there is no attic (okay, maybe 3 inches), and when the heat rises, a lot of it stays in the bedrooms rather than venting up higher.

Except, D didn’t map the best route to the back of the store for the fan, and we ended up walking through the home decor section of the store. I. Wanted. Everything! Half of it wasn’t even all that nice… I just got to a point where I have been dreaming about spiffing up the apartment a little bit with some new pillows, and a large mirror above the sectional. Perhaps $100 total, and I felt like it would make for a nice face-lift.

D saw the look in my eye (cartoon-style dollar signs) and he forced me to focus on the window fan, and then put blinders on me to get to the cash register. Oh boy, I was in a consumer-crazy mode. We made it out of there without any junk, somehow… well I know how – my fiancé.

I’m someone who keeps a little “fat” in the budget in the form of small splurges because otherwise I’d go on a big spending spree when I started feeling deprived. It’s nothing major, just enough to scratch the itch. But over the last six months or so I haven’t really purchased much of anything in comparison. That’s definitely a good thing, because I used to spend way too much… but I feel weird not picking up a new accessory or item as often as before.

Add in the fact that I intend to take advantage of a 10% tax difference between my home province and Alberta (15% sales tax versus 5%), I think I was ramping up for consumption overload. I think it’s good that I realized how much I wanted to purchase items now rather than in a shopping mall for several reasons.

1. I can warn my best friend of my budgetary restrictions.
  2. I can make a list and stick to it, but still enjoy my time there.
  3. It allows me to be self-aware of why I have the urge to shop.

And so, with those things in mind, I have made a list in an attempt to keep me in check.

• leather cheque-sized wallet
  • black skinny jeans
  • iPad 2 case
  • oversized tapestry scarf

In reality that list is just replacement items.

My wallet is trashed. Like seriously trashed. The material (vinyl?) is cracked all down one side. The closure has been glued back together so many times before. The change purse split where the zipper is sewn in resulting in raining money in my purse sometimes. I guess that’s what $40 gets you after 2.5 years.

Same goes for the skinny jeans, and the iPad case. My iPad is getting close to 3 years old. And again, I went cheap buying a case off ebay for $10. The seams are ripped and fraying. The iPad half falls out of it when I use it. I think it’s time to get a new case. But I don’t want one that is a sleeve where it needs to be removed every time. It needs to have a window in it like opening a book – I’m too much of a klutz for it not to have a little bit of protection.

The last item on my list is sort of proactive for the Fall. Is it a necessity? Nope, definitely not. But I really want one. It’s also at the bottom of my list for a reason.

So wish me luck. This could get interesting. :)

Also, it probably feels a little weird posting about anticipated shopping on a debt repayment blog, but… well, it’s truthful. I know I am going to spend money while I am there and it’s all tucked safely in my Tangerine chequing account – not my regular chequing account with PC – so that I don’t somehow accidentally spend my rent money. Not that I would, but… ya know, it’s a good additional fail-safe.

I hope everyone has a great week! See you all soon.

29 Responses to I Want Everything!

1. Trista says:

I hope you have a wonderful time with your friends. I think it was a great idea to blog about anticipated shopping on a debt repayment blog. It shows that you can still treat yourself and you can do it sensibly instead of on impulse. You are very smart to make a list of the things you plan to buy.

I understand the desire when walking through home decor to want everything. There are a lot of little updates I’d like to make to my apartment as well. I don’t have a single thing hung on my walls and I’ve lived there since December. I can seem to talk myself out of most things… well except for clothes. I’ve got a few pieces on their way in the mail. I’m hoping I don’t like all of it so some items can be returned. Because I’ve been trying new outfits lately,combinations of old pieces with the occasional new piece that’s under $25 (yes, I am a little concerned about how the quality will be affected. But for the length of time I can get away with wearing spring/summer clothing in NL they should last me awhile). I’m really starting to think I should finally break down and buy myself a full length mirror… standing on the toilet to take a look really isn’t working for me any more. Ha ha.

• Alicia says:

Thanks Trista. I’m pretty excited to visit with my friends, and to take advantage of some of the cheaper prices. I’m hoping I can stick to the list!

We have three things on the wall – one in the hall, one in the bedroom, and one in the guest room. If I can get a mirror over the couch it would look a lot less barren in the living room. Yeah, sometimes it’s fine to inject crappy quality clothing into your wardrobe, assuming it doesn’t all end up like that. I’m much more likely to spend less money on a trendy piece compared to a my staples, so… if it doesn’t hold up, it doesn’t hold up.

My “full length mirror” is my fiancé… but he’s smart enough to say everything looks good (ha!), so it’s not much help. I hope you don’t end up with a foot in the toilet!

• Trista says:

It’s funny. I tell my boyfriend that I don’t really care that much about his opinion on my clothes but I have returned the only two things he was very much against. Not sure if he influenced those decisions more than I think.

I’m just hoping to add a few maxi-length dresses and skirts that can be comfortable and practical for the summer. After my Old Navy order comes in I’m going to try and cool on clothes for at least the rest of the summer.

2. L says:

Sometimes you get hit with a case of “I wants” and definitely don’t want to wait till you’ve saved up for it. ;) Sounds to me like you have a good plan in place to prevent overspending!

If you are just looking for a quick, book-like cover for you iPad, there’s a quick tutorial to turn a composition notebook cover into an iPad cover out there. I can’t put the link here, but if you search for “Lil Blue Boo Composition Notebook iPad” you will see it.

You might prefer a store-bought one in the long run, but if you like DIY, this one takes just a few minutes, and is actually pretty sturdy!

• Alicia says:

I’m hopeful it works. Thanks for the suggestion for the iPad case. I am so far from DIY it’s funny, but I was willing to try it… until I saw that I’d need the plastic the iPad came in. That’s long gone :)

Thanks for stopping by!

3. We’ll miss you around these parts. :) Have a fun time. I understand that feeling of I WANT EVERYTHING. Just get yourself out of the building and budget for it.

• Alicia says:

Don’t worry, I won’t be gone for long. ;) I just like the idea of disconnecting from technology a bit while I’m gone!

I think it’s a pretty common mentality. Thankfully D saved me last week. Hopefully my friend can help this upcoming week… and hopefully at some point I can do it internally :)

4. Tre says:

I think we all have those days! That’s why I try to stay out of stores. Listing exactly what you need is a good way to keep youru spending on track. Have a great trip!

5. We’re not machines…humans have wants and there’s nothing wrong with addressing them. As long as our spending is reasonable within the context of our savings and investment, then spend with confidence!

• Alicia says:

Sometimes I pretend I’m a robot… but then my fiancé gives me a weird look and I start to act normal again. Oh,… that’s not what you meant about robots? :)

And spend I shall!

6. E.M. says:

My boyfriend does the same thing for me. Mostly because he hates being in Target/Walmart and likes to get out of there as quickly as possible. I think it’s great to blog about your wants – added motivation to stick to the list while over there. I would be taking advantage of the tax differential, too. Have fun!!

• Alicia says:

Aren’t men great for that? But put him in an electronics store and he’s the same way as I was.

I’m hoping I can stick to the list. It’s another use of my blog being all about accountability! Thanks EM!

7. I’ve had a long list of wants going for a while now, so I can totally relate to this! A new purse and wallet are at the top of the list, because mine are cracked, broken and scheduled to fall apart any day now. I can’t complain – I probably spent $40 on each and they’ve lasted for a good 3 years, if not more – but I haven’t been able to find anything I like yet. I’m also going to be in need of a new pair of running shoes soon. I’ve had mine for two years and think they’re running low on mileage, so to speak! Have an amazing trip. :)

• Alicia says:

Yep, you should see the state of my wallet – I took a picture of it, but it’s too pathetic to post! Thankfully I did a BOGO deal at Sport Chek a couple years ago, so I just pulled out a brand new pair of runners – I was pretty excited about that. :) Otherwise my budget would not have been happy at the price tag.

Thanks Cait. Enjoy your time in TO!

8. Morgaine says:

Oh boy do I know that feeling all too well! You wouldn’t have believed how much clothing I was going to buy at Mark’s the other day (I seriously had both arms completely full) as some of the sweaters (opened cardigans) I had been drooling over since they put them out are now on clearance. And then I was told that they will be an extra 20% on Saturday so we’re going back then. Will try not to completely blow my budget, but may be difficult. Have a great trip! :)

• Alicia says:

Oh I’ve been there. I think I’m way worse when I finally financially blow (aka arm fulls of stuff) rather than just pick up a piece at a time. Good luck with the deals – I hope they still have them when you go back on Saturday (that’s my big shopping fear… I think I have problems).

Thanks Morgaine. I’m looking forward to decompressing a bit :)

9. If my wife invited me to buy something or to visit mall, I am trying to make a lot of excuses. I want to delay her gratification to buy something what she likes to purchase.

I believe that not all our wants are necessary to have a happy life.

Enjoy your time.

• Alicia says:

Oh, absolutely there is a reason why wants are wants versus needs. I try to avoid putting myself in a position to spend money by not going to shops. Sometimes that isn’t possible :)

10. I can relate to this. I always bug my wife for constantly spending small amounts on clothing and I tend to spend less, but when I do spend its for bigger amounts (ie. new laptop). I don’t know how to fix this. I guess sometimes there needs to be some ‘fun’ in the budget. Hope you have a good trip!

• Alicia says:

Oh yeah, it seems to be more about the frequency than the amount sometimes. And I agree that there needs to be some fun budgeted in.

11. debt debs says:

Sometimes it’s like pulling on a loose thread and it all unravels if you’re not careful. I felt that way when I spent $30 on mostly needs at IKEA a few weeks ago. Good for you for staying strong… ahem following your BF!

12. Well, I have no room to talk as I’ve been blogging about a vacation I didn’t have time to save up for! (Because I had it planned before I had my big a-hah moment and started my blog, as well as for more personal reasons; there was no way I wasn’t going on this trip, basically, so I’ve just shrugged and accepted that it’s my last hurrah of non-saved-for travel.)

Have a great trip and just try to keep the shopping within bounds :)

13. TSML says:

I’ve had my Winners bought Tommy Hilfiger wallet since 2004. Whenever I’m tempted to buy a nice, shiny new wallet, I ask myself: “would I rather have a new wallet or more stock in company X?”

Now extrapolate that to everything.

• Alicia says:

I feel like mens wallets last longer than womens because they’re not loose in a purse compared to tucked in a back pocket. But I might just be rationalizing :)

14. Liquid says:

“If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have in life, you’ll never have enough.”
    –Oprah Winfrey